Wednesday, November 22, 2017

On Gratitude by Diana Ting Delosh

Thank You Owlet - Ink & Watercolor Illustration, Hand Lettering
© Diana Ting Delosh

It's the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, so here's a few thoughts on gratitude as an illustrator /author. I am most Thankful for Friends and Community. As someone who spends most days isolated in my studio in suburbia, I am thrilled to have found my tribe via: the CBIG, SCBWI and the LICWI. Not to mention connecting with an even bigger pool of artists/writers/creatives via Twitter.

CBIG, Children's Book Illustrators Group
After many years of trying to do it alone, I discovered CBIG through my sister, who had a friend, who was a member.  CBIG is a local NY metro area group. They invite children's book publishing professionals to their meetings, so members can grow as illustrators and of course make connections.

SCBWI, Society of Children's Book Writers & Illustrators
SCBWI is an international group that offers oodles of info and conferences. Over the years it's given me loads of networking opportunities with industry professionals.

LICWI, Long Island Children's Writers & Illustrators
I joined LICWI because I wanted to get serious about my writing. LICWI members meet monthly and may read their writing to the group and receive feedback. I'm still getting the hang of reading to a group. Nerve wracking. But the valuable feedback is worth it.

Twitter
Because sometimes I'm working in the studio by my lonesome and it's nice to feel connected to the world at large. Remember those illustrators/writers you met at the big conference, most likely they're on Twitter or Instagram. There are many Twitter art challenges to participate in. Or if you're too busy to participate, just view. Always inspirational, sometimes even motivating.

In fact, this blog and my Art Crit Group would have never formed if it weren't for friendships via CBIG and the NJ SCBWI June Conferences. So, a really Big THANK YOU to CBIG and the NJ SCBWI.

Just in case you're wondering, yes, all this connecting and socializing, both real and virtual, does help your  discoverability and may lead to opportunities and even commissions. But that's a topic for another post.

Here's to Friends and Community and a Happy Thanksgiving to ALL!

Twitter: dtdelosh

For your picture book storyboarding process
Check out: 
The BIG ThumbNailer
ThumbNailer

No comments:

Post a Comment