Wednesday, November 15, 2017

How Do You Turn An Idea Into A First Draft? by Patricia Keeler

©patriciakeeler
Most author/illustrator groups will critique your manuscript once you've got it as finished as possible, but are there groups that help develop a seed of an idea into a first draft?

In a large room with two walls of floor to ceiling windows, about 20 graphic designers, theater people, art teachers and others, gather to develop portfolios and create children's books. They make up Monica Wellington's Monday (and Wednesday) night class, Children's Book Illustration, at the School of Visual Arts in New York City on 21st Street.

Monica's class is different from other classes I've taken. In the past I haven't presented a picture book idea to a group until I had at least a rough draft. In this class, we begin by drawing a sample illustration of a picture book concept that we are thinking about. We post our images on the wall.

©patriciakeeler
Sometimes Monica introduces a story prompt. In one class we wrote down jobs that our extended families have had. I was thinking of my brother-in-law who is a chef, so developed the idea of a witch who was a chef. (Think Oily Snail Soup and Crispy Spider Legs.)

©patriciakeeler
For each new story idea, we create an illustration. Monica asks each artist how their artwork relates to their story idea. The class critiques the artwork, and discusses the possibilities of the related story concept.

We are entering the second half of the semester, and the class has introduced a lot of new art and ideas for picture books. We now choose one story and are asked to create a thumbnail dummy with the story written under the pictures.

©patriciakeeler
From here our art will expand in size and detail as the story line evolves.

My classmates have a unique, insightful and sometimes funny takes on the work. They are kind and sharing, and bring a wide variety of illustration styles and techniques.

For me, Monica Wellington's approach to creating a picture book from one sketch feels like tiptoeing up to a sleeping tiger. It's a smoother, easier method than sitting down at a keyboard facing the open jaws of a blank screen. And artwork that doesn't develop into a picture book, works as a portfolio piece.

©patriciakeeler


©patriciakeeler

As a visual thinker, I appreciate Monica Wellington's unique approach to creating children's books. It's wonderful to have support from a terrific teacher and classmates when you're going from the fragile, uncertain beginnings of an idea, across that wide abyss to a picture book dummy.  

Helpful comments from Sophia Dookh, Estella Morgan and Monica Wellington.       ©patriciakeeler

Facebook:  PatriciaKeelerBooks
Twitter: @patriciakeeler
Instagram: @patriciakeelerbooks

represented by Liza Royce Agency www.lizaroyce.com





8 comments:

  1. Glad it's good. I take it you recommend it. Remember I mentioned that she told me I didn't need her class. Funny, huh? Well, your pop pop pop illustration reminds me of Norman Rockwell...the guy. Art looks energetic and like you are having fun.Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Marilyn! I think Monica was being complimentary of your work! I think we all need the chance to come together and work our way through the weeds. It is fun -- and a lot of work!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a wonderful class!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a great class and you are contributing so much! Thank you, Patricia!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds wonderful! I envy visual thinkers and artists. I think in words, and often a piece of art prompts the words to flow. I've added you to the illustrators who inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always admired writers, as you'll seem fearless to face that white page and come up with intriguing characters and complex plots, and poetry, my goodness! It's impressive! Thanks for your kind words!

      Delete
  5. Wonderful post! Thank you for including me in one of the photos. I love the class, and getting to know everyone and their art! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Patricia, what a GREAT class! I've often wished I could be taking classes like this, but it's out of my realm of possibility :-\ Your sharing this helps 'cause it gives insight to this particular process. Just wonderful! :D

    ReplyDelete